[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Ron Peterson ronpeterson39401 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 12:28:30 EDT 2007

I agree with Will that we aren't in competition with Google, but I do think a key service that libraries have offered, connecting users to information, is a key part of what Google, and other similar services do.  The difference lies in the business of Google, to generate revenue by driving users to their clients, who want to sell them things generally.  Whereas, the business of libraries is helping their users meet their own goals through providing them with information, instruction, licensed content, physical space, and many other things.  We are not competing with them for funding or clients.  This false competition between Google and Libraries causes me concern because it distracts us from the things we should be focused on (serving the needs of our users) and it feeds into the idea that still lingers out there of "why do we need a library when we have Google."  If we don't know how we are different from Google, how can we expect our users or our parent institutions to
 know.