[Web4lib] floppy disk issues

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue May 8 03:45:42 EDT 2007

Since our library IS a computer lab, we get tons of students, many of whom still use floppies.  Last semester had a young man with three papers on a floppy.  He wanted to print them.  The floppy
was totally unreadable on any computer, on any OS.  For all I know he put it on his fridge with magnets, though it did look old and bedraggled.  I told him he could try another lab, but I couldn't help him.  I suggested he go home and get another floppy, copy the files to that disk, then bring to print.  He said that was his ONLY copy.  I just said sorry.  Guess you'll have to redo them.  He cried.

My standard rap to students with floppies is:

Next time you're thinking about buying a pizza and a sixpack, don't.  Take the money and go to the campus bookstore or BestBuy or somewhere and buy a flash drive.  Even the cheapest will hold all your papers for years.   You'll be much happier in the long run than the short term enjoyment of the food and drink.

Many have said they'd do that.

Our newer computers don't even have floppy drives.....

dan

Show Up, Suit Up, Shut Up, and Follow Directions
dan at riverofdata.com
Dan Lester, Boise, Idaho, USA