[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Mon May 7 08:24:15 EDT 2007

Greetings,

Do you think the problem with the government sites might
be intent?  In libraries, we are ultimately focused on
the efficient delivery of information to the end user, or
at least it seems that we should be.

Within administrative government there seems to
be a greater focus on regulating the flow of information
and finding out who wants what and why. When I look at the
Chicago site as an example, the links refer to a user
session rather than the information itself.

Libraries are rarely, if ever, are criticized for
not providing information - administrative government
often is and can end up going to litigation over access.
So, if a web developing vendor wants to sell to administrative
government, perhaps what is valued as a service is intrinsically
different than what librarians value.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot