[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data(wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Fri May 4 19:48:39 EDT 2007

Greetings,

You are making some great points.

>From what I have read, there are two threads:

1. We need to focus on investigating the newer technologies in order
to provide better services and get ahead of the curve.

2. We need to focus on making the products already being
purchased more user friendly to address the immediate needs of existing
clientel.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive.  In fact, I believe
that by moving forward with the first, you create momentum needed to
address the second.  I think what is being said is that with limited
resources - time, money, intellect - addressing the immediate need
to improve user interfaces provided by vendors will result in
the greatest impact.  However, if you move away from your
microeconomic environment of one University, one college, or even
a consortium I don't think that the same restricting variables
of time, money, and intellect apply.

I recall visiting the offices of a major library software vendor
about 10 years ago and meeting the programmers writing the script
for the web based interface.  The screens that they were using
to design were verticle - maybe 11" wide by 19" high.  This was
efficient for writing code, but when you tested the program, it was
designed for a tall skinny screen - exactly the opposite of the
real world application.  With release, that lack of functionality
for the real world application made it a huge source of aggravation -
frustrating end users and those of us training end users.  And,
fixing it was not something that was forthcoming.

I believe that the resources now available with the web environment
have removed the local microeconomic limitations of time, money,
and intellect.  If good user interfaces are investigated, tested,
implemented collaboratively and locally, you can have no-cost
options to the vendors who are unable or unwilling as a result
of their own economics to provide the services you envision.

I have a twenty-four inch monitor and a nineteen on my desk.
I can test multiple browsers, run multiple windows,
write and view code while seeing the results at the same time,
train, and send and receive massive amounts of information.
This is more than the vendors had 10 years ago.  With the tools
available to us now we are only limited by our imagination.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island