[Web4lib] Skills for Library 2.0 Leaders

Piero Cavaleri pierocavaleri at liuc.it
Thu May 3 11:53:16 EDT 2007

For those interested in AJAX application for bibliographic database, we are
going to experiment a Singol Page Application with AJAX for the searching of
an Italian LIS journal, "Biblioteche oggi".
Our library is collaborating with the journal publisher for experimenting
new ways for presenting bibliographical databases.
You can see the application at the address:
http://www.biblio.liuc.it/scripts/bibloggi/

I'm sorry but the application is only in Italian, because the journal's
target are the Italian librarians.
You can search the database using different ways without changing page, can
reload your precedent searches and save any citation for sending all, when
you want, to your e-mail address. For searching authors ("Ricerca rapida
autori") it uses auto search on key entered (more then two characters).
The application don't use any javascript library, but only procedural
programm written by our people. On the server side it runs on MIIS/asp and
MySQL.
We are working with another version using "prototype", Json and object
oriented programming on the client side and Apache/php on the server, but
until now it's slower.

For seeing the full-text of the articles the application opens another
window because they are on the publisher's website. There is one year
embargo for consulting the full-texts.

Piero Cavaleri