[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (was particpationSkills for Library 2.0 Leaders)

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:49:30 EDT 2007

Interesting. So these sites become sustainable because of the sheer volume
of traffic? Does the 90:9:1 rule hold true for sites that cater to a smaller
community? Right now I'm thinking of bulletin boards/wikis for games or
other hobbies. Obviously they don't draw the traffic that Wikipedia does,
yet they still survive, and do quite well.

What if librarians stopped focusing on developing their own site, but
instead found ways to contribute content to other people's sites in their
respective communities? We could develop a modular site, say using xml, and
then work with others to incorporate what we have into their sites. Course
sites come to mind. Instead of trying to get people to constantly link to
our site, focus more on to getting in to theirs. I know some libraries do
this to some extent, but it never seems to be the main push. Am I correct in
this assumption?