[Web4lib] Skills for Library 2.0 Leaders

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed May 2 22:25:05 EDT 2007

   From: "Ron Peterson" <ronpeterson39401 at yahoo.com>
   To: Web4lib at webjunction.org
   Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Skills for Library 2.0 Leaders

   >I don't think catching up is a real goal.  We should be looking past
   >the technology and trying to come up with ways to use it to anticipate
   >and meet the needs/goals of our users.  Do users really want to be involved in the
   >creation of services and products?  Don't they want to use them?  I think libraries
   >are trying to catch up to what some of the web is doing in creating participatory
   >environments -- and succeeding.  But I also think a lot of people are putting
   >podcasts and blogs on their website without any thought as to what value they
   >provide to people.  So I think we really need to give serious thought to what we are
   >trying to accomplish.

I tend to agree with you.  What I've yet to see anyone report is the usage of these podcasts, blogs, etc.  I know that our library's blog gets minimal use.  I realize that these usage stats aren't any more valid than circulation stats, but as with books, they're the stats we have.  Of course if you're getting voluntary emails from thrilled users, that could be of interest too.

These "wonderful new things" that are trumpeted may indeed be the next great thing.  Some, however, will fail.  It reminds me of a number of articles published in early volumes of Journal of Library Automation that were written as something that worked.  However, they never came to pass.  These days it seems that these things happen less frequently, perhaps because of the rapid communication and rapid means of checking up on various claims.

cheers

dan

Show Up, Suit Up, Shut Up, and Follow Directions
dan at riverofdata.com
Dan Lester, Boise, Idaho, USA