[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Michele Hampshire mhampshire at cityofmillvalley.org
Wed May 2 13:32:33 EDT 2007

I appreciate all the comments; thanks. I do think that when a city
redesigns its website and incorporates the library site into that, there
are ways to make it work.  I can see that one way to approach it is to
ensure that the Library content is prominent; I wonder, though, if there
are any public librarians on this list who have been involved in such a
process and could offer some practical advice.

For one thing, how does the catalog search box fit into the city's
website? How could confusion about searching for a book vs. searching
for the planning commission agenda be minimized?  What about URL
redirects with the 200+ pages on our library.org domain? I really don't
want to relinquish the library.org domain (not just because we'd have to
reprint all our stationery). If anyone has any tips on other issues I
might think about, I'd be grateful.

Off-list replies are welcome; I'd happily summarize for the list.

Michele Hampshire
Web Librarian
Mill Valley Public Library
375 Throckmorton Ave.