[Web4lib] Resources? -- Web Standards and Semantic Markup

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:03:42 EDT 2007

Speaking as someone who's had a fair amount of experience in working with
someone else's code, standards compliance is a godsend.  If a site
validates, I at least know some thought has gone into 'standardizing' the
markup so that it's at least consistent.  This helps when, for example, you
are upgrading the site from HTML4 to XHTML.

The two most significant advances the standards movement has made has been
to emphasize the separation of content and layout, and eschewing tables for
layout.  Nothing makes me have a bad day more than seeing a 1px wide table
cell added for padding.

I've found that trolling some of the 'good' design blogs has given me a lot
to think about - maybe not always in terms of practical guidelines.
37signals' blog (http://www.37signals.com/svn) is always a good read.  I
also enjoy trolling through the blogs at 9rules design community:
http://9rules.com/design/

Andrew