[Web4lib] Resources? -- Web Standards and Semantic Markup

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Wed May 2 09:26:38 EDT 2007

I guess I more cynical.

I work with multilingual content, and
when you mix standards compliance and accessibility with multilingual
content many web developers and most CMS products fail to get it right.

Those parts of the standards that are well understood are
implemented well. But its common for internationalization features not to
meet best practice.

Mixing multilingual ocntant and
accessibility is even more fun. I can think of a few sites aiming for
"AA" or "AAA" that fail to meet some "A"
checkpoints because they haven't internationalized the site properly, or
fail to understand that the inteded audience of the content should match
the intended audience of implemented accessibility techniques.

I haven't seen many library or government sites that get it right.

Andj.

On Wed, May 2, 2007 5:52 pm, David Kane wrote:
> Hi Andrew, you make the point well.
>
> There has
been a lot of interest in web content management systems for

libraries recently.  In our experience the use of a CMS makes us more
> able to create a semantic, accessible, standards compliant page.  I
have
> a paper coming out in June's 'Library Hi-Tech', which is a
case study of
> what we did with our library website and it makes
this point.

> Offprint available on request.
>

> David.
>
> David Kane
> Waterford
Institute of Technology
> http://library.wit.ie/
> T:
++353.51302838
Stevens <asteven4 at gmu.edu> 05/02/07 1:08 AM >>>

David Kane wrote:
>> Hi Andrew, Tim, All,
>>
>> I think that web standards can have a normative force insofar
as a
>> standards-compliant website whose markup reflects the
semantics of the
>> content will lend itself very readily (in
my experience) to compliance
>> with WAI and Section 508
guidelines.

> Yes, it that is a very
compelling argument in favor paying attention to
> web standards.
In fact, it's difficult to create a highly accessible
> site with
an ambivalent view of standards.

> A wrote a brief
piece on this subject for a workshop a couple years ago:

> Accessibility benefits of "standards-based design" and
"structural

<http://www.4serendipity.com/accessibility/struct/>

>> Another possible justification for standards
compliance is that the
>> separation of style from the content
typically creates a smaller file
>> size.  Some people also say
that a semantically structured document
>> lends itself more
readily to search indexing.  This sounds good, so
> you
>> can say it to your boss if you like, but I am unaware of any
evidence
>> support it.
>
> This
another valuable beneficial outcome of using standard markup. A

related benefit is the ease with which standard markup is maintained.
> Marking up pages best suited to quirky user agents leads to a
quirky
> product that will require future maintainers to
unnecessarily
> familiarize themselves with the quirks.
>

> Another benefit of web standards, and standards in general, is
that they

> provide the developers of access devices
with an established format to
> which to design their devices for.
The alternative is to either mimic
> another device's bugs or to
create a new, unique interpretation of web
> languages that may or
may not to compatible with other access devices.
> Either of the
these alternative approaches leads to a "wild west"

scenario where one could never be sure of that the current, ad hoc
> authoritative implementation will still be dominant next year or
next
> month.
>
> A couple oldie, but still good
reads on this topic are:

> Site Valet - Why
Validate?

<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/reasons.html>

> For additional reading pleasure attached below are a few
links related
> to a presentation that I've given regarding web
standards.

> *General Reading on Web Standards
>
> Zeldman, J. (2003). Designing With Web Standards.
Indianapolis: New
> Riders.
>
> Cederholm, D.
(2004). Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style
> Handbook.
Berkeley, CA: Friends of ED.

> SimpleBits | Web
Standards Link Bonanza

http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2004/06/21/bonanza.html

> What Every Web Site Owner Should Know About Standards: A Web
Standards

http://www.maccaws.org/kit/way-forward/

> Design by
Fire: The real reason you should care about web standards

http://www.designbyfire.com/000099.html

> mezzoblue: A
Roadmap to Standards

http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/04/30/a_roadmap_to/

http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/08/25/standards_re/

> 99.9% of Websites Are Obsolete
> An excerpt from Forward
Compatibility: Designing & Building With

http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2002-09.shtml

> Accessibility benefits of "standards-based design" and
"structural
> markup"

http://www.4serendipity.com/accessibility/struct/

*Bugs, Quirks, and Issues

http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Images,_Tables,_and_Mysterious_Gaps
> Explains how Gecko (Netscape 6+, Mozilla, etc.) renders images in
tables

> when "standards" mode is
triggered.

> *Doctype Switch and Browser Rendering
Modes

> Summary of Doctypes and the layout modes they
trigger

http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/doctype/

> CSS
Enhancements in Internet Explorer 6

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp
> Details which Doctype triggers which rendering mode in IE 6 and
lists
> some of the differences between the "standards"
and "quirks" mode in

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/
> Mozilla also
provides a detailed outline of Mozilla quirks mode

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko's_%22Almost_Standards%22_Mode

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_Compatibility_Handbook
> Discusses Gecko (Netscape 6+, Mozilla, etc.) standards support
and
> solutions to common issues with this rendering engine.
>
> *'Hiding' CSS links
>
> Centrical's CSS
filters page

http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/

@import

http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/import/

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssHacks

> The Box
Model Hack
> http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html
>
> Size Matters
> An article detailing an
implementation of the BMH to control font size
> across
browsers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

> Web4lib mailing