[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Tue May 1 20:17:10 EDT 2007

Greetings,

I don't think that either of the outcomes that you postulate
are correct. Librarians should manage the information content
on the web sites for their cities and towns.  The mission of
public libraries in general includes providing information,
education, and entertainment resources to the public. Where
is the efficiency in having that only apply to print and
media?

Almost all public libraries also serve as the primary or
secondary resource in their community for public information.
Often, city and town clerks are elected, so there is no
reason to expect that they have professional information
management skills.

This feeds back to the problem with moving professional librarians
past their comfort zone to embrace technology beyond the
drawer and typewriter.  However, from a logical and professional
standpoint, I believe that libraries should have the role
of information management and content management for their
parent organizations.

I have developed municipal websites from primary resource
documents in absence of the parent organization be able to
conceptualize what information they wanted to provide. Using
charters, organizational structure, local ordinances, committee
and board mandates, and state law, you can build a municipal
web site that supports the democratic process and offers
transparency of government activities.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot