[Web4lib] Spidering speed

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Sat Mar 31 11:27:16 EDT 2007

Right. You control the retrieval speed, or turn it off. I think the
speeds should be 1 second, 2, seconds, 5 seconds. If your OPAC can't
handle requests every 5 seconds, you are in trouble anyway.

The widgets themselves don't hit the OPAC—only LibraryThing, via JS.
But we need to load up some data (eg., titles and authors) before the
widgets can work. Asking for dumps in a specific format, or even big
MARC dumps is too much of a pain for people.

I thought Z39.50s were generally running on separate boxes. Hmmm.