[Web4lib] Sitemap.xml

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Fri Mar 30 13:28:32 EDT 2007

It's really not that important. SEO people—I was one of them, once,
but a good one—tend to present what they do as black magic, and
something you certainly need their help for. Coming up with a valid
sitemap.xml is a service they sell. But, while it can help a bit on
the margins, most high-ranking sites don't have one either, and your
time is usually time better spent making your site better in other,
visitor-focused ways.

Incidentally, you can change the spider rate by signing up for Google
Webmaster Tools. Sitemaps allows you to control it area-by-area.

The main reason libraries don't score well in search engines are the
session-based URLs in their OPACs.

Tim