[Web4lib] Can a DOI identify a web site?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:38:58 EDT 2007

  A WEB  site

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 23:43, christina struik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have reading about DOIs and I just cannot figure out if a web site counts
> as an "object" or if pages within the site must have separate DOIs.
From the little I have read on DOI,  "is for identifying content objects in
the digital environment".  I would think a WEB site is a container for the
objects not an object itself.

> Does the (usually changing) web site content make it difficult to link to
> content?
Since their is not a standard on how a WEB server program identifies its
content as objects it is difficult.

> Can a web site have a DOI that relies solely on metadata so that when the
> site changes URL the DOI follows the site?
Depends on your server software and settings sort of.  All content in Zope
server is in an Object Database with possible exceptions of database adapters
to other databases and products that allow direct file system storage.  A
zope/plone WEB site has OIDs (Object IDs) for every item: images, folders,
documents, scripts, database connectors, etc.  In plone using KUPU (a wysiwyg
html editor)  in its configuraiton for the site you can check

" Link using UIDs
Links to objects on this site created by Kupu can use unique object ids so
that the links remain valid even if the target object is renamed or moved
elsewhere on the site."

Now if there were a DOI to OID table built into Plone, this would work even if
the page were moved.  Also would probably need a DOI harvester to keep the
table updated for new material.

> I am doing my degree in library and information studies and I have seen web
> documents linked by DOI but have not yet come across DOI-linked web sites
> when they are included in a library catalog.  It would be useful to have
> more stability in catalog web site links.

That would be a DOI itself pointing to a container if you mean a catalog entry
pointing to a WEB site not a DOI in a WEB site.

> Thank-you for your time,
You're welcome.

> Christina Struik

Or have I totally misunderstood the DOI?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/