[Web4lib] Can a DOI identify a web site?

christina struik clstruik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:43:58 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have reading about DOIs and I just cannot figure out if a web site counts
as an "object" or if pages within the site must have separate DOIs.
Does the (usually changing) web site content make it difficult to link to
content?

Can a web site have a DOI that relies solely on metadata so that when the
site changes URL the DOI follows the site?

I am doing my degree in library and information studies and I have seen web
documents linked by DOI but have not yet come across DOI-linked web sites
when they are included in a library catalog.  It would be useful to have
more stability in catalog web site links.

Thank-you for your time,

Christina Struik