[Web4lib] Mobile computer lab question

Matt Grayson mgrayson at eserver2.lib.utmem.edu
Tue Mar 27 12:38:16 EST 2007

On 3/27/07 12:18 PM, "Hopkins County - Madisonville Public Library"
<library at vci.net> wrote:

> We have a 6 laptop mobile computer lab that has now been in service for 2
> weeks, & we are trying to iron out a couple of kinks in the system as we
> learn more about the needs of the people using it.
>

> Something that has cropped up today is that the person using the lab to
> teach has done some research to find new training websites, & has come up
> with some interesting stuff. The only problem is that we have Deepfreeze on
> these laptops, so any changes would be wiped when the lab is put away. What
> I would like to do is have one place where the resources can be kept &
> updated, that all 6 laptops can see & have read access (ideally, this would
> be links to websites found). Has anyone tackled something like this at any
> time?

Since I'm not exactly sure what you need, I'll lay out several options ...

DeepFreeze has an option to create what it calls a "Thawspace." It's
basically a virtual drive where you can safely save files to without them
being deleted at reboot. If all you need is a place to save files, then that
should do it.

If you're wanting to save user settings, then you will need to move the user
account folder to the Thawspace. It's a little trickier, but definitely
doable. I *think* the DeepFreeze docs mention how to do this.

If you need a shared location that all the laptops can access at the same
time, then you'll need to setup a shared folder somewhere else and have the
laptops map the shared folder to a drive on the laptop.

Matt