[Web4lib] Headphones in public libraries

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Mon Mar 26 10:40:37 EST 2007

Well, the selling transaction in and of itself will be similarly labor-intensive.  Have you tried using your circulation system to charge the headphones to users?  This reduces the steps in the transaction and automatically provides a record that can be followed-up if the user doesn't return them.  You can also use your security system to alert you when they are taken.

We barcode and security strip our headphones.  While we are not a public library, we did (and still do, to a limited extent) have our fair share of headphone loss.  We believe the circulation method works best for all - reduces (but does not eliminate) theft, but keeps the labor involved to a minimum.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-8946
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/library/

>>> "Masud-Paul, Janice" <janicem at camden.lib.nj.us> 3/26/2007 10:01 AM >>>
Good morning.

We are a public library with free internet access for anyone who enters.
We also connect headphones to all of our public computers. As you might
imagine we have experienced some headphone theft, but our primary
problem is breakage.  It doesn't seem to matter if we purchase $60
headphones or the $1.00 variety; we still replace them frequently.

We are considering removing the headphones from the adult stations and
selling new headphones for $2.50. We really aren't making a profit; but
it will cover the cost of purchasing the headphones and is also a more
sanitary option since the customer will keep them. We tried lending
headphones in the past but collecting and returning IDs was labor
intensive.

Do any of you sell headphones in your libraries?  How much do you
charge? If you don't sell headphones have you opted to distribute them
with ID or do you require the customer to bring his/her own. Thanks in
advance for your input. --janice

Janice Masud-Paul
Supervisor, Information Technology
Camden County Library System