[Web4lib] Headphones in public libraries

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Mar 26 10:38:52 EST 2007

 We actually lend them out - they give us their name and phone number on
a checkout sheet (very simple) and we give them the headphones,
reminding them to return them when done.  We keep them in ziploc bags
with their checkout sheet and have one of our volunteers wipe them with
alcohol periodically.  It's not sophisticated, but it works.
Occasionally they'll forget to bring them back to us (we lend them out
at the adult and children's service desks, which are near the two main
areas of computers), but we usually find them still plugged into a
station.  You could also have them leave a library card or ID, though
it's usually kids wanting them, and they rarely have ID.

Yes, this is staff intensive, but not overburdensome (is that a word?
Whatever.)  And yes, in a larger location this would probably be
difficult, but perhaps it gives you an option.

They can bring their own, but most of them don't have cords long enough
to reach to where they have to plug into the machine.  In fact, the
hardest part for us is explaining to patrons where to plug the darn
things in!  (on the back of the CPU, which is a pain)

For what it's worth, we even have personal laptop users checking these
out, because they forget to bring their own.  Fine by us, as long as
they bring them back.

Best of luck!
Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian