[Web4lib] U3 Devices: was IE7 security settings

Katie Dunneback kdunneback at sls.lib.ia.us
Mon Mar 26 08:44:01 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Darryl Friesen
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:08 PM

Every USB device you plug into a computer requires some configuration
changes to the system (drivers etc etc).  I don't think it actually installs
any software onto the machine though.

Actually, it does attempt to install software onto the machine.  At my FPOW,
a small-medium public library, this was beginning to be a headache for us
with the general computing PACs.  Many patrons had recently purchased new
USB drives, many with U3 or similar software installed on them.  Our
computer policy stated that no applications could be installed on the
computers (staff or public) without prior approval.  Also, our PACs had Deep
Freeze installed on them to prevent this.  Many of our patrons complained
that their USB drives would not work on our computers.  We eventually
figured out it was because of the device's attempt to install the U3
software.  And since the software could not be installed, the USB drive was
rendered unusable on our computers despite our having the programs many of
our patrons were attempting to use.  This is one reason why I am not a fan
of U3.

Katie
--
Katie Dunneback