[Web4lib] U3 Devices: was IE7 security settings

Carol Bean beanworks at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 07:28:14 EST 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Andrew Hankinson wrote:

> On this note, I'd just like to pass something along that I have
> recently experienced regarding U3 devices.
>
> I recently purchased a Memorex U3 keydrive, not knowing quite how
> it worked.  When I first plugged it in, it started installing
> various things which, to me, is a very bad thing to do.

It doesn't install on the host computer.  It installs itself on the
keydrive, and configures itself to run on the host computer.  There
are some windows XP machines that won't allow this, however (I
suspect it depends on the type of "lockdown").  I've tried it on all
of our public PC's (Win2000 and WinXP) with no problem, but it
wouldn't load at all on a co-worker's WinXP machine (works fine on my
older, Win2000 machine).

> Second, when I brought it home and plugged it into my Mac, it
> mounted as TWO drives, both of which had to be ejected in order for
> me to unplug the device.

heh, I did that, too. :-)  Then I found OSX Portable Apps (http://
www.freesmug.org/portableapps/) to install on it!  But first you have
to create a Mac partition on it to hold the OSX Apps.  So I tried
keeping the U3 part and adding a 500 MB Mac OS extended partition
(seems to have worked), then installing some OSX Apps on the
partition.  _Seemed_ to be o.k., but I couldn't actually get the apps
to work from the keydrive. :-(

> I couldn't format the U3 partition without downloading a Windows-
> only uninstaller, which had to be run with administrator privileges
> (!) in order to wipe out the U3 partition.

Why?  It doesn't take up that much space, and you may find it useful
later.  Once you uninstall, you can't put it back.  Of course, if
your computer won't recognize the drive at all with it on there, you
would probably want to delete it...

> So, overall, I'm not impressed with how U3 works, and certainly
> wouldn't recommend it to anyone who 1) doesn't want to install
> things on every computer they visit and/or 2) doesn't use Windows.

Ditto above.

> I've also been wondering what the difference is between a U3 device
> and 'portable applications.'  It seems like all U3 does is provide
> a 'start' menu for any applications on your drive, but again, I
> didn't get much of an opportunity to use it.

The U3 site includes some of the portable applications available from
http://portableapps.com/.  But it also includes commercial apps,
which may have a free version or a demo/trial version.  Avast
antivirus is included on the keydrive, which is pretty handy, except
that it's a trial version that expires after three months.

> Cheers,
> Andrew

The only downside I've seen is the bigger apps (e.g., openoffice.org,
gimp) run really slow on the keydrive.  Firefox works great, though.
On the whole, it's been really useful on the occasions when I needed
an app which wasn't on a public pc.  Other than that, it still has a
lot of space to use it as a plain usb drive. :-)

Carol Bean