[Web4lib] ERAMS vs. URM

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Mar 24 06:30:05 EST 2007

> Credit absolutely goes to SerialSolutions for starting the discussion.
> Part of what we're trying to do w/ERAMs.org is to broaden the dialogue
> outside simply the business product category of ERMs.  There seems also to
> be a need  to rethink the way we do things within libraries and consortia
> to manage e-resources (systems, skill sets, workflows, and mindsets are
> issues that come to mind).

Well, I'll say it: with absolutely no offense to SerialSolutions-we use
their product, btw, no comment there one way or the other-or for that matter
Georgia Tech, where great things emanate and which has not one but two very
cool learning commons-I've been cautious about this "ERAMS" concept because
it WAS launched by a vendor.

I can't identify the authors on the Wikipedia page, but I'm guessing they're
from SS?

My antennae wiggled when I read this on the ERAMS blog: "Is open source
software a potential solution or should we look to a hybrid model involving
automation vendors and the library community?"

That question feels very leading, as in, "Are you going to leave the table
without excusing yourself or would you really rather have dessert?"

If the answer is, "Thank you for asking, but we're going to go for open
source," do we (whoever 'we' might be) still have a place at the table?

Also, where is "preserve"?

Finally, this made me smile: "We are looking for the first 50 participants
who are willing to visualize a library not focused solely on print resource
management and willing to go out on a limb and conceptualize the library
which is focused on user access and management of online resources &
services."

To change course and say, of *course* these are important directions for us
to go in, I would have replaced the word "willing" with "eager." "Willing"
implies a grudging consent. Working with organizations that are "willing" to
put some attention to e-resources is why we are where we are today.

Anyhoo, after all this nitpicking (which I prefer to keep here on the lists
for now, as commenting on a blog is different from talking within
community), it sounds as if it will be a great session, and some of the
questions are focused enough that with enough follow-through they could
yield fruit (are you happy with your openurl resolver or would you rather
stick a pencil in your eye? ... oh, wait, I made that up). As an ACRL member
whose conference dance card is maxed out this spring, I look forward to
hearing the podcasts afterwards.

Karen G. Schneider
Acting Associate Director of Libraries for Technology & Research
Florida State University
Email/AIM: kschneider at mailer.fsu.edu
Blog: http://blogs.lib.fsu.edu/libtech/
Phone: 850-644-5214