[Web4lib] Content management systems

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Tue Mar 20 12:21:16 EST 2007

Matt Grayson wrote:
> Drupal does have built-in support for versioning. You can set it up so that
> when a page is saved, a new revision is automatically created. So, if a user
> makes a change that needs to be undone, it's a one click process to roll
> back to the prior version. In practice, I haven't had to use it much. But
> it's a nice safety net.

I've been working with Drupal for while now.  At first, I was attracted
by all the Modules that extend the features of the "Core" system.

Recently I've been getting into the way Drupal handles Content and I was
wondering if there are equivalents with Joomla...

CONTENT (CCK)

Increasingly with Drupal you don't have a content type "Blog" or
"Article".  Rather you put together a "title" box and a textarea box and
you call it a "Blog" (or whatever else you want to call it).  You can
add a "date" to it and call it an "Event".  If you wanted to
differentiate between 'faculty' and staff, you could add a couple of
radio buttons.

This is all done through a relatively easy-to-use online form.

Then once you've assembled your content, you can decide how it shows up
on a page.  You can pick any of the elements of the content model you've
just created -- say just the "title" box -- and list it either as a
sidebar (i.e. block) or page.  You can also put in conditions (i.e.
'filters') to control what shows up.  For example, have only 'faculty'
blog titles show up.

Again this is all done through a relatively easy-to-use form -- no SQL
required.

I find such a system both flexible and powerful and think it important
to point out -- once you get beyond the Modules and the Publishing Model.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'