[Web4lib] IE7 and Firefox 2.0 Search Engine for Web2

Emily Lynema emily_lynema at ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 13 08:22:40 EST 2007

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but one thing you can
do is create an OpenSearch Description Document (a very simple XML
document) that you reference in the <head> element of your search
results page.

This allows users with Firefox 2.0 or IE7 to 'discover' your catalog
search directly from the search provider drop-down in their browser (no
installation required) when they are viewing any page where you
reference the OpenSearch description doc. The only thing you need is a
stable URL for searching the catalog into which the browser can insert
the user's search terms. It's not a plugin that users install, but you
may find it useful.

Here's a relevant snippet of our OpenSearch description document:

<OpenSearchDescription>
<ShortName>NCSU Libraries Catalog</ShortName>
<Description>Search the NCSU Libraries Catalog</Description>
<Url type="text/html" indexOffset="0"
template="http://www2.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/?N=0&Ntk=Keyword&Ntt={searchTerms?}&No={startIndex?}"/>
<Image type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" height="16" width="16">
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalogws/include/favicon.ico
</Image>
<Query role="example" searchTerms="ncsu"/>
</OpenSearchDescription>

The <Url> element tells the OpenSearch provider (the browser) how to
insert elements like search terms into your OPAC's URL to get results.
The <Query> element is just an example search that should return results.

Find out more info about how to structure this document and the required
elements at:
http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1#OpenSearch_description_document

Then you need to reference the location of the OpenSearch description
document in the <head> element of whatever page you want users to be
able to 'discover' your search plugin from. Here's what it looks like on
ours:

<head>
<link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"
     href="http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalogws/include/opensearch.xml"
title="NCSU Libraries Catalog" />
</head>

-emily lynema