[Web4lib] Copyright and Book cover images

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Mon Mar 12 12:30:53 EST 2007

>> The best source of cover images is
>> actually the publishers themselves.

I disagree.  I don't think 'best' here should be measured in terms of the quality of the images, but rather in terms of the ease of use of the service.

To get a cover image from Amazon, all you need is an ISBN.  In almost any system you might design, getting the ISBN for a book and feeding it to Amazon is extremely simple.  (That you need to follow Amazon's terms of service is a given.)

Using publisher websites to achieve the same goal would require not only knowing which publishers publish each book, but where their website is located, what data I need to retrieve the book covers, and then a whole host of issues on the size and resolution of each image.

That simply isn't feasible for any type of system searching more than a few hundred books.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University