[Web4lib] Copyright and Book cover images

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Mon Mar 12 09:39:20 EST 2007

I have a question that I've been curious about for awhile, but
haven't been able to find an answer to.  What are the copyright
issues regarding the use of book cover images, especially ones from Amazon?

I've noticed a lot of websites (LibraryThing for example) will pull
images from Amazon, often directly linking to the image hosted on
Amazon's server.  For obvious reasons using images of book covers can
be very useful but I was always unclear of the legal/ethical issues
surrounding this?  If I want to add images of book covers to my
library website or OPAC is it okay to use Amazon's image covers, if
so, is it actually preferable to link directly to the Amazon image or
would it be better to host it locally? Normally I would assume
hosting it locally would be better due to bandwidth issues, but so
many people take the images hosted by Amazon I was wondering if
perhaps they preferred this?

Or do sites like LibraryThing pay a licensing fee to Amazon or
something similar?

Are there other routes to obtaining images?

Thanks!

Will

Will Kurt
Research Librarian