[Web4lib] Lies, damn lies, and usage statistics?

Sunshine Carter scarter at d.umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:31:55 EST 2007

Stacy,

You might also get additional responses if you posted this to the usage
statistics listserv (USAGE at JISCMAIL.AC.UK).

I too wonder about the accuracy of usage statistics.  Were you looking
at the COUNTER compliant statistics, or the standard reports?  I wonder
if the auditing process for COUNTER compliancy provides any more
assurance of accuracy than non-COUNTER stats.  I don't know how often
COUNTER statistics are audited.

My current issue are vendors who claim their stats are COUNTER
compliant, but are not on the list of COUNTER compliant vendors
(<http://www.projectcounter.org/articles.html>) (but that's another
post for another day).

Sunshine Carter

--On Thursday, March 08, 2007 9:38 PM -0500 Stacy Pober

--
Sunshine J. Carter
Reference & Electronic Resources Librarian

Phone:218-726-6693
Fax:  218-726-8019
scarter at d.umn.edu
http://www.d.umn.edu/lib/ref/scarter