[Web4lib] IM Security

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Tue Mar 6 20:29:58 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
Of TUCKER-RAYMOND Caleb

 ~ offer (but not demand) encrypted services  ~ steer conversations
heading towards personal information in another direction  ~ talk to
patrons using IM about privacy  ~ if personal information gets sent, be
okay with that

e.g. "Before you give me your card number, I want to give you the option
of calling me over the phone..."

I think that's an excellent point, and suggestion, as we try to create
policy and/or procedures surrounding these new(ish) services.  Though
you'd probably get the occasional "why are you suggesting that - is IM
insecure?" question in return, to which you'd want to arm your staff
with an answer.

Standing at the reference desk and speaking your information aloud isn't
entirely secure, either, so I think the suggestion above stays within
the *reasonable expectation* of privacy we try to maintain.

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy