[Web4lib] IM Security

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:54:59 EST 2007

I had exactly the same reservations with that statement... IM is no
more inherently insecure than any other protocol.  I do remember, to
be fair, reading an article on how Skype 'punches' through firewalls,
but that's about the only thing I can think of.

And P2P becoming 'one' with other computers is just plain wrong.  The
only difference between peer-to-peer and client-server is that each
'peer' can act as both a client and a server.  You do not 'become'
one with the peer, and so it follows that you do not automatically
inherit any of their viruses.  That's mostly FUD that's been spread
by the media companies and everyone else who fears peer-to-peer.

Andrew