[Web4lib] IM Security

Chadwick, John, DCA john.chadwick at state.nm.us
Mon Mar 5 21:52:58 EST 2007

I will chime in about IM. We discourage IM on public access systems and
staff computers because of the real risk of viruses:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/imvirus.mspx

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,115837-page,1/article.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6072173-1.html

One of the major problems with IM is that it uses a protocol instead of
a standard TCP/IP port. It is easy to filter out spam and viruses on
e-mail because all traffic flows on port 25. IM just looks for the next
open port and delivers traffic through open ports, which is very, very
frightening to IT people charged with protecting networks from viruses
and other nasty programs. Also, since flavors of IM uses peer-to-peer
technologies, your computer essentially becomes one with other
computers, including those that are infected with viruses.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1657

http://www.bc.edu/offices/help/meta-elements/doc/articles/html/RX-AIMvir
uses001.shtml

That being said, there really is no legitimate reason to deny use of IM
within the confines of a corporate network to allow staff to communicate
and allow patrons to communicate in real time with reference staff. We
do block Instant Messaging but we are more than happy to open up the
service to any staff person who has a need to use the technology.

John Chadwick
Manager, Information Technologies
New Mexico State Library
1209 Camino Carlos Rey