[Web4lib] IM Security

Micah Stevens micah at raincross-tech.com
Mon Mar 5 16:32:03 EST 2007

Security Risk in what way? If by interacting with an outside server to
provide the IM service you have a security risk, then just install a
local Jabber server which is supported by many IM clients. This would
also solve any sort of worry about an IM system distributed virus (Which
has happened before through MSN I believe... )

If all you need is a service for the local group of people, a local
server is a good way to go in my opinion because it's safer, you can
control exactly how it behaves, and you eliminate any concerns about
people using the IM for things other than work.

Just my two cents. Did they mention exactly what kind of security risk
they were worried about? Throwing around key words just inflames and
doesn't help the situation usually.

-Micah