[Web4lib] JAVA

Araby Y Greene araby at unr.edu
Sat Mar 3 17:14:20 EST 2007

The first thing to do is check your settings for IE7's Java Virtual
Machine (JVM), which is not the same as the Sun Java Plug-in:

In IE7, select Tools,
Internet Options
Security
Custom Level
Scroll down to Java VM
Make sure that Disable Java is not checked
The High Safety setting should be fine for most Applets

If you're getting messages about JavaScript (not Java) being disabled:
In IE7, select Tools
Internet Options
Security
Custom Level
Scroll down to Scripting
Under Active scripting, check Enable

If you prefer to run the Sun Java Plug-in with IE7, you'll need to
install it and turn off the MS JVM. There is some good information here:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips663.html
The current version is J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, Update 11
Download from www.java.com
If you already have a version of the Sun Java Plug-in (that you're using
with Firefox, etc.) there will be an icon for it in the Windows Control
Panel.

See the report on a Vista bug (since resolved) with IE7 and Sun Java:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1488/vista_bug_sun_version_java_causes_ie
7_to_lock_up

Hope this helps,
Araby Greene