[Web4lib] replacement question.

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Fri Mar 2 12:30:20 EST 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Lin Light wrote:

> What policy or guideline do you all have in place to determine when
> is it
> time to replace machines?
> Yes, I know, if you can't turn it on or you have to provide your
> own markers
> to paint you screen, it is time to replace it.
> But how many have a performance benchmark or years of service cycle of
> replacement? We have some machines that are close to 8 years old
> that work
> OK for just accessing the web card catalog.  They are GOING this
> summer. But
> I have some that are 5 years old (1.8ghz, P4, that just need a
> memory boost
> ) that seem to be performing well in the Children's Department.
> I just don't want to say, yap, 5 years old out you go.

I suppose it depends how much trouble goes into fixing that probably
out of warranty P4. The people in your repair shop will probably tell
you if it is out of warranty it is diminishing returns to try and
keep it up. I am a strong believer in -well if it works then why
bother replacing it. I only however use this rule on my personal
computers.

Some of my reasons follow.
- -I mostly build my own computers -unless the computers come from 1
Infinity Loop :-)
- -From a support perspective having different Motherboards, device
drivers, etc makes creating images a nightmare.
- -If the 5 year computer needs an upgrade or parts come apart the cost
of after market parts will cost you a pretty penny. This makes the
definition of "it still works" a moving target.

Understanding that not all budgets are built the same I would work
with your reseller to have a standard warranty on all your hardware.
This warranty should include parts. Once this warranty expires keep
the computer as long as it runs and the moment something or otherwise
starts to show signs of age, repurpose [1] it or otherwise re-cycle it.

You will find that the people in your repair shop will smile more
readily at you as you walk into their offices. :-)

regards,
./fxk
Francis Kayiwa
Library Systems Team
4-180, MC 234
T: +1.312.996.2716
W: http://www.uic.edu/~kayiwa
Key: http://tigger.uic.edu/~kayiwa/kayiwa.gpg

[1] The Linux Terminal Server Project is one way to give a new lease
on life to computers that are too old/slow to run Microsoft Windows.