[Web4lib] replacement question.

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Mar 2 10:59:15 EST 2007

Lin Light wrote:

> What policy or guideline do you all have in place to determine when is it
> time to replace machines?

I just looked in a magazine from 1929, where the new cars from
Packard were advertised with the argument that they would last
four years, rather than cheaper cars that only lasted two years.
My current Toyota is 7 years, and still feels "new" to me.

I guess personal computers are right now reaching a level where
the two year old model no longer feels completely outdated.

The Model T Ford was introduced in 1908, 21 years before 1929.
The IBM PC was introduced in 1981, 26 years ago.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)