[Web4lib] Re: Msg14 Replacement Policy and/or Guidelines

Dale Irving dirving at sailsinc.org
Thu Mar 1 14:25:02 EST 2007

Hi Lin,
I work at a fairly small PL (with typical budget issues) and our
replacement policy and replacement guidelines tend to be ... very
different things.  Our policy calls for the replacement of staff and
public PCs every three years, however, we haven't attained that level in
the 8 years I've worked here, and I doubt if we will anytime soon.  From a
practical viewpoint I try and replace PCs when they no longer do the job I
need done in a reasonable amount of time with reasonable downtime.  Like
you we have older P4s in service, mostly with 512MB RAM at this point, and
I've replaced a few hard drives and power supplies to keep them running.
I've retired older machines limited to 256MB as well as some without front
USB ports as soon as I could (although I kept a few as PACs for a while).
 We've had good luck with the Microns our town buys, and I blow them out
twice a year and do full-reloads on average every 1 - 1 1/2 years (less
often since I started using deepfreeze).

Dale

Dale Irving
Information Systems Librarian
Middleborough Public Library