[Web4lib] replacement question.

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu Mar 1 12:28:19 EST 2007

Lin Light writes:
 > We have some machines that are close to 8 years old that work OK
 > for just accessing the web card catalog.  They are GOING this
 > summer. But I have some that are 5 years old (1.8ghz, P4, that just
 > need a memory boost) that seem to be performing well in the
 > Children's Department.  I just don't want to say, yap, 5 years old
 > out you go.

Well, why would you?  What's wrong with an old machine, so long as it
works?  If it's installed to run a specific application, then demands
on the hardware won't be growing more intense with time, so there is
really no need to upgrade to get more CPU speed or memory.  Stick with
what works, would be my advice.

... for what it's worth, I am still happily running an 133 MHz PC that
I got in 1995.  The boys use it for games and for document processing.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "We will be married on Sunday, that's what you promised, married
	 on Sunday ...  That was last August!" -- Steven Sondheim,
	 "Sweeney Todd"