[Web4lib] replacement question.

Lin Light holight at llcoop.org
Thu Mar 1 11:56:55 EST 2007

What policy or guideline do you all have in place to determine when is it
time to replace machines?
Yes, I know, if you can't turn it on or you have to provide your own markers
to paint you screen, it is time to replace it.
But how many have a performance benchmark or years of service cycle of
replacement? We have some machines that are close to 8 years old that work
OK for just accessing the web card catalog.  They are GOING this summer. But
I have some that are 5 years old (1.8ghz, P4, that just need a memory boost
) that seem to be performing well in the Children's Department.
I just don't want to say, yap, 5 years old out you go.

Lin

Lin Light
Head of Technical & Automated Services
Herrick District Library