[Web4lib] Offtopic: Interviewing and Hiring a Web Developer

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Fri Jun 29 13:55:14 EDT 2007

> This may be a little more technical that what you need, but there are
some good recommendations here:

> http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/GuerrillaInterviewing3.html
>
> One thing I like to do is to try and find out how a potential hire
thinks with a question like "How would you
> go about determining the number of traffic lights in the city?" A
question like this - without a right answer,
> really - allows you to get an idea of how they go about
problem-solving. Some may try to figure out the number
> of streets that intersect; some may estimate the volume of traffic and
base the answer on that; some may try
> and get more information out of you - Do you want *all* traffic
lights, or can I exclude the flashing yellow
> ones?
> Of course, these days I often add on "...and you're not allowed to use
Google," but that's just me.
> __________________________
> Mike Kmiec
> Lead Developer : Innovation Centre
> National Library of New Zealand
> Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa
> mike.kmiec at natlib.govt.nz
> +64 4 474 3137

While I could think out ways to estimate it (I'd be one of the ones
asking for more information), my first instinct
would be to say "I'd start by calling City Hall." I think that's why I
apply for librarian jobs. Why do an estimate
that could be wildly off when you can ask around and get a number that
would actually be closer to accurate?
I'm bad with theoreticals if there's an actual fact-answer that exists
that can answer the question.
But I do understand it as an exercise, and I very much agree with your
suggestion of open-ended problem-solving
interview questions. :)

I disagreed with multiple points of this article, but the perspective
was very interesting.
Thanks for the link.

Elena
__
Elena O'Malley, Assistant Director for Technology and Access Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116