[Web4lib] Offtopic: Interviewing and Hiring a Web Developer

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:48:52 EDT 2007

They should also be able to talk about it at length: explain the
customer's requirements and how they were elicited, what the technical
challenges were and how they were solved, how they arrived at the
database design (if a db is involved), what the maintenance plans
are...This gets to whether they just knocked the site together over
the weekend, or really analyzed the customer's needs and designed the
website accordingly. This was one of my favorite types of questions
when I was a software engineer: "Tell us about your current project."
That uncovers whether I understand the goals of the entire project, or
just my little corner of it.

Another good question along the same lines is to present an actual
project that you may have in mind, and have the candidate interview
you to find out what you "really" want. I like the traffic light
question as one indicator of problem-solving skills, but I wouldn't
stop there.

[snip]