[Web4lib] Problem with WiFi card

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 28 09:22:05 EDT 2007

---- Original message ----
>Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:42:33 -0500
>From: Charles Gambrell <gambrellcb at gmail.com>
>Subject: [Web4lib] Problem with WiFi card
>To: web4lib at webjunction.org
>
>We have 27 computers with Linksys PCI Wifi card.  Whenever we select
>"Shut Down" the computer shuts down and immediately restarts.
>
>Anyone seen behavior such as this?  If so, have you corrected the behavior?
>
>Thanks for any help offered.

I'd guess my first question would be, how do you know it's the wireless card?  The second being, do you have any more details  about your computers?

I'll assume the following:

1) You had computers previously, someone added all the cards.  They stopped working.
2) You have Windows computers that are somewhat recent.  Most libraries tend to run old versions, say 2000 or some even 98.  I'm going to go on a limb here though and assume that you're running one of the NT-based Windows OSes (2000 or newer) .

There's no way I can guess the card.

Searching Google for computer restarts after shutdown lead to the following Microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299.
Do that to maybe get an error message or at least stop the cycle of restarting and shutdown.

Going to the Linksys website and searching "computer restarts" brings up this thread: http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Adapters&message.id=2621&query.id=98276#M2621.
The solution looks a little suspicious and like a short-term fix. Maybe it'll give you some clues to start.

It also looks like Linksys there's a live support and chat as well as forums.

Also, have you tried doing the usual and downloading the latest driver/firmware for the cards?

When asking questions like this some details about the actual computers and the part can also prove useful.

Jon Gorman