[Web4lib] The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?

Clinton Lowery clintonhlowery at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 12:40:27 EDT 2007

Hi all-

At the discussion - to which I arrived a little late so I missed the bit about Maricopa - it seemed that Stephen was arguing more that librarians - and the profession as a whole - are afraid of innovation, instead relying on outside sources for innovation, whether it is a fellow librarian who creates something which then slowly disseminates, or something a vendor pushes on a customer which slowly disseminates, etc.

I don't know if this example came up, but as far as non-MARC goes, the increased use of self-checkout in emulation of big-box stores, the outsourcing of cataloging in order to streamline the vendor-to-shelf time, the increased use of RFID and other devices to get away from the typical barcode, the increased use of online digital content in such different areas as audio/video and photographic archives all speak of some innovation.

It may not be a matter of a librarian himself/herself creating the latest and greatest, and is usually brought on by perceived market, generational and user-orientation shifts, but something is definitely going on.

Is there a distinction between innovation and invention that should be taken into account?  Adaptation, growth, expansion, adoption are all some form of innovation.

Clinton

----

My opinions are mine own.  They grow best in damp basements using black lights.