[Web4lib] The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Jun 27 12:03:41 EDT 2007

This is an interesting question, but even more interesting (and
symptomatic?) is that it has turned into a discussion of the MARC record. If
changing how we handle our metadata is our idea of major innovation, then it
really makes no difference whether the answer to the debate question is Yes
or No.  You have to innovate in a relevant way, and other agencies in our
society have moved on to be concerned with providing direct access to
information and breaking down the barriers our systems have imposed between
types of information.

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/