[Web4lib] The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?

Andrew Ashton aashton at skidmore.edu
Wed Jun 27 09:51:06 EDT 2007

I would think that one aspect of a well-designed (or, triumphant)
technology would be its ability to evolve along with emerging
technologies - many of which exist for reasons far more substantial than
being simply "electron-based novelties".

MARC does not evolve.  It is simply MARC - a good tool for a few
decades, but one which has far outlived its usefulness.  Even attempts
to move MARC forward - MARCXML, for example - expose the fundamental
problems with MARC.  It is needlessly complex, it's structure is
unintuitive, and it requires that systems adhere to its own standards
rather than adhering to the standards of the broader world of
information resources.  As for the question of whether libraries
innovate, I think our undying commitment to MARC precludes innovation in
many cases.

--
Andrew Ashton
Systems Librarian