[Web4lib] Andrew Keen: Doesn't Like Web 2.0 Nor His Spinach

jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au
Mon Jun 25 00:20:28 EDT 2007

While I agree with many of Andrew Keen's points, I must also disagree with
some of his views -  often on the same point!

To me, it sounds like trying to put the smoke back into the bottle after
it has escaped, or a rant against the fading light.

I suspect that Web 2.0 will be cyclical with many blogs, wikis, and other
sites created by "amateurs" disappearing, just as many personal websites
did from the late 1990s as their owners move on with their lives.

But it is his contention that mainstream or professional media may be
dismantled that I find most interesting.

In the last month, I have both observed and participated in, the campaign
to save the CBS TV show "Jericho".  Ignoring the tenet that it is "only a
TV show", here was a group of individuals from across the world, bound by
one issue (to reverse a cancellation decision), who organised themselves
using the internet, to conduct a "campaign" against a mainstream media
organisation (CBS).  Within a week, websites were created, campaign
strategies were agreed on, and plans/instructions were issued to the "foot
soldiers".  YouTube was used to provide not only "inspirational" and
"rallying" videos, but to disseminate "news clips" of the delivery of nuts
to CBS in NY (it's a long story!!). (Donations were also made online for
the tornado devastated town of Greensburg in Kansas, as the television
show is also set in Kansas).  BlogTalkRadio (which I had never heard of
before this!!) became a news service for the campaign, and a place for the
cast and producers of the TV show to communicate directly with fans.

And amazingly, it worked!!!  CBS announced that it had renewed the show,
but additionally, CBS are now working in "partnership" with the fans to
promote the show to more viewers.

One reason given why "Jericho" was cancelled in the first instance, was
the lack of "in front of the TV set" viewers.  But at the same time, it
was also acknowledged (but not really counted) that the show was very
popular as an online download on the CBS website, as well as through
iTunes and Amazon, and other time shifting options such as TiVo.  The
analogy is a library shifting from print journals (viewed inside a
library), to online journals, but still counting the number of print
titles,  the number of people visiting the library and photocopying
articles, as their statistics!

For me, this whole story brings together aspects of mainstream media (CBS
Television) and the new formats that traditional content can be viewed
(the Jericho episodes being available online) and how advertising in
conjunction with this online content can be leveraged. ( Andrew Keen
touched on this himself with his story of no adverts in novels, but I ask,
would it be so dreadful, if a print novel had adverts, if it meant the
purchase price was lower and therefore making it available to more
readers?)

 I disagree with Keen that professional media will be dismantled.  I think
that it needs to be flexible and adaptable, and look to move into the
future and position itself where its users are now.  Throughout history,
media organisations have done this before by moving from print into radio
and to television.Think of where we would be if journal publishers had
decided to stay with their print only models, or libraries remained
committed to their card catalogues.

As a librarian, with an interest in online content, Web 2.0 and social
networking, I find this entire "Jericho campaign" story fascinating.
Whether it is the tipping point as some commentators have mentioned, of
how viewers are counted, or how television content is made available
online, only time will tell.  But just at the moment, it is a meeting
point of traditional media organisations, their content, their viewers,
their advertisers (revenue), Web 2.0, and the internet.  Whether this
meeting point is a collision or a moment of synergy, I don't know.

I don't believe that the "cult of the amateur is devaluing knowledge" as
Andrew Keen maintains. ( I think I am extremely knowledgeable in my
amateur hobby!!)  Knowledge, information and content is still highly
valued, but its owners and disseminators need to reposition themselves.  I
use Wikipedia, but then I also know its limitations, and when I should go
to other sources for appropriate content (eg an abstract database).  With
this knowledge, as a disseminator, I believe one of my roles in my
organisation is to educate my library's clients to know how to
discriminate between information sources, and where to go, and how, to
find the content they require.  Educating the users is a better long term
option than legislating control of the internet - achieving this is
another matter!!

Regards,
Jennifer Kirton

Jennifer Kirton
Library
NSW Department of Primary Industries
Wollongbar Agricultural Institute
1243 Bruxner Highway
Wollongbar
New South Wales  2477
Australia
jennifer.kirton at dpi.nsw.gov.au
ph +61 2 6626 1321
fax  +61 2 6628 3264

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.