[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Thomas,Dylan iss60c at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 04:28:53 EDT 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Will Kurt wrote:
>
>> But what are we really debating? MySpace, Twitter, and SL aren't
>> ideas: they exist, they have millions of users, and they all
>> make tons of money.
>
> Does Twitter make tons of money?  How?  I decided to try it out
> (http://twitter.com/LA2) and I don't pay anything and I don't see
> any advertising.  So how do they make money?  From sending SMS?
>
> Many years ago I heard about there.com, and they seem to be around
> still.  I guess there are at least a dozen (?) similar virtual
> worlds out there.  But all everybody is talking about is Second
> Life.  How can that be?  Superior marketing?
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Virtual_reality_communities

I went to a presentation last night on SL, which only focussed on SL,
and how "brilliant" it was/can be. But also the basics in terms of
making money from the service was explained, as well was the emphasis on
that if it went under, then anyone involved would lose all of their
money. I had a problem actually understanding why someone would want to
get involved with SL in the first place, aside from the potential to
make money - but very soon I stopped thinking in that way, which was
futile. In the "web world", or indeed the entertainment world, there is
very often no rationale present within the consumerist, the effects of a
capitalist post-modern society/culture (Jameson).

However! The monthly running costs for SL are apparently massive, so the
"youtube formula", get big, spend a lot, become popular, and then
sell..., but I can't see how this would happen for SL, if that is their
intention.

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the University of Wales, Bangor.
The University of Wales, Bangor does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the University of Wales, Bangor Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk