[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Thu Jun 21 15:46:44 EDT 2007

Elizabeth Tarasevich wrote:
> Gee. I spent my morning in the Children's Wing of a local hospital showing
> staff and patients how to download audiobooks and access homework help from
> the library's website. Many of these kids are too sick to read, or even look
> at computers, but love to be read to - in person. Much better use of a
> librarian's time than twittering (pun intended) around in SL.
>
> Just my opinion, but sometimes I am embarrassed with the obsession of
> juvenilia in our profession.

If your users are on MySpace, it makes every sense in the world to at
least create a 'beachhead' in the service -- as part of normal outreach.

If your users are no where to be seen and there are better alternatives,
then naturally the incentives are less compelling.  I'd put SL and even
Twitter in this second category.

That's not to rule out SL or Twitter.  If a significant number of my
users were running around in SL looking like Barbie, you'd bet I'd be
there in my bunny outfit.  I'm just don't think the users are there at
the moment (so the bunny outfit is on hold).

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'