[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Thu Jun 21 14:47:50 EDT 2007

I was talking with Jaron Lanier a few months back about Second Life,
which for obvious reasons he loves (he's the originator of the term
'virtual reality') Jaron's really into the idea that virtual
environments, especially those like second life, are experiments in
new, emerging forms of communication, and I think he's
right.  Spending time creating an avatar is at least as much an
experiment in expression as it is escapism.  (for the record: the
week I played around in SL my avatar had mulch gloves and a burlap cape) .

I think it's a little too much to become over-concerned with the
ethical implications of one spending more time cultivating an avatar
then a "real self" (if there is such a thing).

But what are we really debating? MySpace, Twitter, and SL aren't
ideas: they exist, they have millions of users, and they all make
tons of money.  They aren't over-hyped because they are successful by
any standard definition success.  I, personally, am not the biggest
MySpace fan, but I'm not going to deny that it has changed the way
many people I know communicate.

These tools are just stepping stones in a long line of transitions
from one form of communication to another.  As information
professionals we need to keep up, and understand and participate in
these things now and as they evolve.

And for the record librarians aren't doing half bad.  There are
plenty of libraries in SL, that are well built and have a pretty
reasonable number of people in them.

--Will