[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Atanu Garai atanu.garai at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:12:13 EDT 2007

There is a marked distinction between what happened earlier through
personal web-pages and now, through the social networking websites -
blogs, wikis, podcasting sites so on. The distinction here perhaps goes
beyond the technology maturity of sharing and collaboration on the web,
a product is only successful when it is enjoyed by many and the seamless
connection across platforms is established so well. If you look at the
commercial success of those websites, it is only few. But in the last
few years, millions of such activities have grown without any
significant commercial strings attached to it. In a sense, you must look
at people's willingness to share and consume this new information and it
is going to be endless, even in near future, until a completely new
technology overturns and captures this phenomenon (semantic web?). For
an average person, it looks like mere consumerism and entertainment to
be socially networked through web, but more and more things are
happening online. People are trusting friends reviews before buying
products and services. The cost of doing this is almost nothing, except
the internet connection charges. So from business point of view, there
is nothing to loose for the customers, but to gain much more. Doesn't
make sense?

Atanu Garai
New Delhi