[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Jun 20 14:51:44 EDT 2007

> The point he's missing is that the kinds of services and
> functionalities they offer (and their descendent services/functionalities
> that will come) aren't going anywhere.
>
> For Pete's sake, all endeavors are doomed eventually.  That's no reason
> not
> to start them or enjoy using them while they're around and
> useful/fun/interesting.  How else is progress made?
>
> -David

Gopher's heyday was brief, but it was hugely important.

If Twitter lasts til 2011, I'd be surprised. But I use it, find it fun and
helpful, and even built an awareness service around it (www.twitterprose.com
).

We don't really know what's going to last, or whether something is a
building block for something else. I don't "do" Second Life (insert tired
old joke about being busy with my First Life), and I don't know where it's
leading, if anywhere, but it's a human endeavor, and that alone makes it
interesting in itself.

K.G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com