[Web4lib] Nice Overview/Comparison of CMSs: Joomla, Drupal, Plone

Mark Jordan mjordan at sfu.ca
Mon Jun 11 11:05:49 EDT 2007

One thing from the article I would comment on is the claim that "Drupal
offers deeply integrated (but often less powerful) plug-ins for many
[tasks not core to a CMS]", instead of integrating best-of-breed
external applications.  Not sure why they claim that when there are (as
of today) 155 modules in  the "3rd party integration" category listed at
http://drupal.org/project/Modules -- the second largest category after
the miscellaneous "Utility". Third party apps most web admins would
recognize inclue Amazon associate tools, CAS, ChipIn, CPanel, Creative
Commons, Delicious, Digg, Facebook, etc.

It is true that in many cases someone will contribute a module that
replicates functionality available in an external application, but I
think that's a testament to the sophistication of Drupal's module and
hook systems, which allow developers to add functionality without
touching Drupal's core code.

Mark