[Web4lib] Plone

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 11 11:04:08 EDT 2007

I have experience with Zope, the platform on which Plone is based, and
have high regard for it.  Plone I only have experience with for
demonstration purposes.

For comparison with Drupal (and Joomla) I would highly recomment the
following article:
http://www.idealware.org/articles/joomla_drupal_plone.php
[I would only discount what they say about difficulty of set up.  All
three are easy to get running with a basic set up.]

Plone is better developed, more mature, and more powerful than Drupal,
but it depends on what you need.

I think the biggest consideration might be whether or not you are going
to remain happy with the factory default functionality of either Plone
or Drupal.  If you anticipate doing a lot of tinkering under the hood,
then it is best to consider what you can bring to it.  If you're not
familiar with Object-Oriented programming, then Plone might be an uphill
climb.  Python is a wonderful language and you'll never regret learning
it, but it and Zope and Plone take a while to be comfortable with.  Only
once you get to that point will you appreciate their power.

PHP skills are easier to come by and don't require a new way of
thinking, but can lead to less manageable code.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo